Pregnant, taking minoz-OD for acne, suggested not to take during pregnancy with its risk to foetus. Kindly Advise.

Hi i am 29yrs old i have just conceived with 5 weeks 3 days. i have been taking Minoz - OD 100G which was subscribed to me for acne by a doctor. My Gaenocologist have suggested me not to continue with the pregnancy as it will be fatal to the foetus. Kindly advice.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Your question is a good one and I'll try to provide you with some relevant facts .

Minocyclin (minoz) or any tetracyclin group of drugs are considered as a pregnancy category D drug. This would mean that there is a element of risk in having fetal abnormalities if taken during the course of pregnancy or if patient becomes pregnant while on this drug. But enough evidence is not present to say as to what level of abnormality can occur.

Usually in first 12 weeks the chances of having defect is less,but cannot be nullified.

Minocyclin works at various level in the body like teeth, bones, nervous system etc.

This information should be conveyed to the patient before hand .

Now the decision would be solely yours, we can just advise you.

My opinion would be same as that of your gynecologist.

You can also follow this link below for details:

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.