Pregnant, measurements 1 or 2 centimeters smaller, ultrasound. Serious?

I am 34 weeks pregnant, everything has been great, 2 weeks ago my measurements were fine but today the doctor said that he feels the measurements are 1 or 2 centimeters smaller, I am having and ultrasound tomorrow but I am worried
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 24 minutes later

You mentioned that you are 34 weeks pregnant. Two weeks ago, your measurement were fine but now, its 1 - 2 cms smaller.

There an be multiple reasons for this.
1. Normally after 34 weeks, the uterus falls forwards and this can lead to reduction in measurements by few cms. This is normal.

2. Reduction in fluid/liquor (Amnioic Fluid) can also cause measurements to be smaller. This will be confirmed with Ultrasound. This is mild or moderate will require a close observation and delivery at 36 weeks if liquor reduces further.

3. Growth reduction in baby usually does not occur so late in the pregnancy. It occurs earlier and at 34 weeks, the child is nearly mature.

So be reassured as of now.
An Ultrasound scan will help us know the exact state of the baby and liquor.

Make sure that your feeling the fetal movements well
Take plenty of Fluids

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran