Pregnant, have a swollen and oozing wound near clitoris. Treatment suggestion?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I am pregnant. Its been 14 weeks. I have got a wound which is swollen and puss is coming out of it. Though it is not painful, the problem is the wound is near to clitoris. I have already got Urinary infection and also Vaginal infection for which I am already taking medication. Can you suggest how can this be treated?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

This seems to be bacterial skin or gland infection which are commonly found in this area. It can result from minor trauma or occur spontaneously after clogged gland.

If there is puss coming out as you said then this is sign of severe infection and it should be treated by antibiotics or surgical drainage. Depending on size of this wound, it can be treated by systemic antibiotics or topical ones. This is usually enough and heals within 7-10 days.

Please consult your doctor or pharmacist about antibiotic which is safe in pregnancy.

You shouldn't ignore this as it can, in rare cases, lead to prenatal baby infection and it should definitely be healed till birth to prevent perinatal infection.

Wish you good health. If you have any infection I will be glad to help.