Pregnant, burning and gurling stomach, abdominal burning, nausea. Can I see a gastroenterologist?

I'm 25 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have gnawing, burning, and gurgling in my stomach throughout both of my pregnancies. When I gave birth to my 1st, the problem instantly stopped. Now that I'm pregnant with my second, I'm experiencing it all over again. It is constant all day long. I'm nauseated all day because of it. Food is the only cure; however, it seems to get worse within 30 min. of eating. The only time I do not feel it is when I'm eating and a few min after. As a result, I'm gaining alot more weight than I should. I was on Omeprazole 20mg with my 1st. I have tried Nexium 20mg and Prevacid 15mg with this one. My Dr. just prescribed Protonix 20mg. She said it is safe to take up to 40mg, but wanted me to start with the 20mg 1st. I'm so fed up! It hurts. I need help. I cannot get relief from any medication. This is not heartburn and has nothing to do with my esophagus. It's all in my upper, middle, and lower abdomen. Can I see a Gastroenterologist while pregnant? Are there foods I should stay away from? Any medications you recommend?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, AAA
First of all , let me congratulate you on being an
expectant mother again. I can understand your
frustration about the stomach problems. I am sure
your doctor has mentioned to you that your symptoms
are from acid reflux. This is quite common and you yourself
have experienced it during your prior pregnancies.
The reason for this is the elevated levels of hormone
progestin that causes the sphincter pressure (Valve
between the esophagus and stomach) to decrease.
Added to this is the upward pressure from the enlarging
uterus .
The safer medications are the H2 receptor blockers like
cimetadine (Tagamet) or Ranitidine (Zantac)
As for antacids like Maalox, Tums or Rolaids, they are
safe as well. Tums may cause some acid rebound.
Some natural supplements include XXXXXXX cider vinegar
and small amounts of licorice.
Avoid caffeine and chocolate. Not lying down for at least
for two hours after a meal is also advisable.
Good news is , symptoms get much better after the birth
of the baby.
Wish you well.
Follow-up: Pregnant, burning and gurling stomach, abdominal burning, nausea. Can I see a gastroenterologist? 6 hours later
Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried tums and they do not work. I tried an antacid with the 1st pregnancy, and it did not work either. My OBGYN's have prescribed PPI's bc the other 2 did not work. I have now tried 3 different prescriptions. Omeprazole worked the best with my 1st pregnancy, but bc it is a class C drug my doctors are reluctant to prescribe it again. I do not want to take anything that could cause harm to my baby. I know I have limited medications while pregnant. I just find it frustrating that I cannot find relief with a medication. I have seen 6 OBGYN's between both pregnancies and none of them seem to know what I'm talking about or say that it's common. They all want to say that it's "heartburn" or acid reflux that affects the esophagus. I have never experienced heartburn; just this painful acid in my abdomen. I have a bland diet and do not drink caffeine. I will cut out chocolate. I have heard to cut out milk. Do you recommend this as well? Is there anything else you can suggest? Or do you think that bc of the hormones and limited drugs I'll just have to wait it out until my baby is born? This only happens during pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 9 hours later
Hello, AAA
I agree with you that you want your baby to be healthy.
As doctors, we also want the same.That is the reason
to withold a lot of drugs during pregnancy especially
during the early months. Even though you don't experience
heartburn , your symptoms are related to reflux and the
sensitivity of your esophagus and stomach.
PPI's are somewhat more potent drugs and their safety
of use during early pregnancy has not been studied
very well. That is the reason for suggesting H2 blockers
even though they are of shorter duration. If you have
tried Tagamet,Zantac, you can try Pepcid or pepcid complete.
Low fat milk is O.K. although the calcium in the milk can
stimulate acid production. Eating smaller meals five times
a day may be better.
Have a healthy baby and wish you well..