Pregnant and thyroid report suggested thyronormalcy and hypothyroidism. Arachitol safe? Medicines necessary?

I am 30 years old with 22nd week of pregnancy (first issue).
Following tests were suggested by an Endocronoligists
A) Thyroid test reveals followings
1. TSH: 3.59
2. FT3: 2.60
3. FT4: 0.87
Comments: “Suggesting Thyronormalcy”
B) Anti Microsomal AntiBody (AMA)
C) Anti Thyroglobulin Antibody (ATG)
D) VITDC: 25-OH Vitamin D Total
Dr comment: Dr has said that there is “Hypo Thyrodism”
Prescription: In addition to ongoing Iron, Folic acid and calcium supplementation
•     Lethyrox 50 mg 1-0-0
•     Inj. Arachitol 6.0 Lac dep on alternate day for total 2 times
•     Tayo 60 K once a week for 6 weeks (Sunday) after lunch
Q1. Are the medication safe for pregnancy? Arachitol has D category drug
Q2. Is it necessary to take above medication necessarily? Second opinion
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

I understand that you are a 30 year old female, currently pregnant and your concern seems to be related to thyroid and vitamin-D status.

I presume that you had no previous thyroid disease. Your FT4, FT3, TSH and antithyroglobulin antibody is normal. your antimicrosomal antibody is slightly high. There is nothing to suggest hypothyroidism in your case as your TSH and T4, T3 is normal.

Antimicrosomal antibody can be positive and it just says there is autoimmunity. Again this antibody can be positive in 30% of normal individual. Given your scenario, I may not prefer to treat you with thyroxine therapy as there are no added benefit.

Your vitamin D level is low and will require treatment. You can take either Tayo or Arachitol. If it is Arachitol, it is a depot injection and only one dose is sufficient. If it is Tayo, you can take it as prescribed and reassess the vitamin-D status after 2 months. It is nothing to be panicked and your baby will be safe.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant and thyroid report suggested thyronormalcy and hypothyroidism. Arachitol safe? Medicines necessary? 15 hours later
Dear Dr Kumaravel,

thanks for answering my query. i was just going through the CIMS class and found that Arachitol falls under catagory D (if dose is greater than USRDA).and cholecalciferol fallls under C and D so is it better to take Tayo or Arachitol inj

pls suggest.
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 2 hours later
Thanks for reverting.

Thanks for your feedback.

I would prefer that you take Tayo instead of Arachitol.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.