Pregnant. Torch test done. What does the report suggest? What should I do?

May 2013
i have under gone TORCH test. i m 6 week pregnant.results are TOXOPLASMA IgG 18 IgM 2.88,Rubella IgG 0.40
IgM 0.27, CMV IgG 169.20 IgM 0.15 Herpes Simplex IgG2.63 IgM 0.44. two months back i had U.T.INFECTION.
i m totally confused what to do now. sometimes i dont believe my doctor.
please guide.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your reports,

-there is raised Toxoplasma IgM and IgG antibodies,
Usually IgM antibodies raise in recent infection whereas IgG antibodies can raise in both recent and past infections,
As IgM antibodies of Toxoplasma can be detected after 1 year to 11/2 years of acute infection,
according to above results we cannot conclude the presence of active infection,
So you better to undergo test to detect Toxoplama gondii DNA by PCR analysis from amniotic fluid, which can diagnose active infection.

-raised IgG antibodies and normal IgM antibodies of cytomegalovirus and exposure and person is possibly immune from primary infection.

So you once discuss these things with your doctor and with her advice go for PCR analysis to detect Toxoplasma DNA.
meanwhile continue your routine tablets.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Torch test done. What does the report suggest? What should I do? 15 hours later
But my doctor says that these reports shows active infection inside your body and treatment should be given for these viruses.She raised serious concern on level of CMV IGG and toxoplasma IGG,IGM
My doubt: does this report shows any active infection?and if any its level of seriousness?
Doctor prescribed Tab: Famciclovir( Famtrex -250) three dosage per day.
But i found some literature about this medicine at internet that this should not be taken by pregnant lady.
Please clarify whether this tab should be used or not.

with regards

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

as I told there is possibility of active infection but only by these report we cannot totally confirm that or rule out that,
so because of that I suggested PCR analysis to detect Toxoplasma DNA.

according to literature famciclovir is category B drug in pregnancy means animal studies showed no fetal risks but sufficient human studies are lacking.
so your doctor might have prescribed it with the thought of benefits over weigh the risks.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.