Pregnant. Tested positive for chlamydia. Prescribed azithromycin. Will the unborn child be affected by chlamydia?

Question
I am almost 14 weeks pregnant. At 13 weeks, following my first trimester ultrasound, I had a "routine" pap smear. I was shocked to learn yesterday that I tested positive for chlamydia. I was prescribed Azithromycin, which I took per the instructions.

Will my child become infected by chlamydia in vitro? What are the risks of birth defects that can result from a chlamydia infection during pregnancy (what types of birth defects, how likely are they, etc.)?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later
Hello
Firstly chlamydia infection is a vaginal infection. So after you have completed the the antibiotic course you should be cured of the infection. Chlamydia infection can cause chorioamnionitis,preterm labour, preterm rupture of membranes, fetal eye infection etc in vaginal delivery. But most of these complications occur when the pregnancy is near term. You are still in the early pregnancy,so chances of complications are less. There are 2 things you should keep track of.1, After you completed the antibiotics,repeat the test after 4 weeks to check for infection again. 2, since this is an STD you need to make sure you are protected from infection in the future. As i have mentioned,infection in the later stages of stages,like the 3rd trimester could be more complicated. If the test is clear after 4 weeks,you can rest easy.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested positive for chlamydia. Prescribed azithromycin. Will the unborn child be affected by chlamydia? 11 minutes later
What are the complications that can result from chlamydia infection in the second trimester? (I realize that you said that the chances of complications are less earlier in pregnancy, but I am wondering if those complications differ from what you described later in pregnancy.)

So there are no chances of the baby developing birth defects (neurological damages, developmental delays, damage to eyes, etc.) if the chlamydia infection is treated before the pregnancy is near term? That really worries me, that the baby's development has been impacted.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later
Preterm labor, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of membranes. These complications can occur. Fetal infection may occur during delivery from an infected cervix and usually eye related like conjuncitivitis. Treatment for the newborn is available. Developmental defects are rare as long as the bacteria doesnt enter the amniotic fluid. Longer you leave the infection untreated more chances. Since you have started your treatment i believe your chances are good.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested positive for chlamydia. Prescribed azithromycin. Will the unborn child be affected by chlamydia? 15 hours later
Last follow-up: is there a way to test if the bacteria has entered the amniotic fluid?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Yes,there are invasive procedures to test amniotic fluid but its not advisable at this point of time. The pregnancy is too early to tamper with. Any invasive procedure has a risk of pregnancy loss. Blood test for total count will show if there is any infection in the body. As i said, its early yet and if the course of antibiotics was taken,chances are you are safe. Important thing is that the infection was identified and treated. Just go for regular follow ups.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested positive for chlamydia. Prescribed azithromycin. Will the unborn child be affected by chlamydia? 2 minutes later
How would the bacteria have entered the amniotic fluid, and how likely is it that the bacteria could have entered the amniotic fluid?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
Its less than likely,as i have mentioned earlier. The pregnancy is in the early stage.If this were in later stages of pregnancy, the cervix would be more susceptible to infection. Since the infection was identified early, and treated. The longer its left untreated, longer the bacteria inhabits the cervical canal, and may travel upwards into the cavity. Since you have completed the antibiotic, get a repeat swab test after 3-4 weeks to make sure the infection is cured. Your partner should have been treated also. In the future, please use protection to avoid any stds.