Pregnant. Sonography showed borderline GTT. Does it indicate any abnormality?

Mar 2016

hi Doct,

my wife is 30 week 2 days pregnant and just had sonography.
it shows
BPD =8.3 cm (33 week 4 day)
HC = 29.9 cm (33 week 2 days)
A.C = 26.4 cm ( 30 week 4 days)
F.L. = 5.9 ( 30 week 6 days)

her GTT results are on border.
I am little concerned as why BPD and HC values are showing that of 33 week 4 days. Does this main Head of baby is bigger than expected. Does it indicate any abnormality?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for query. I have gone through medical history and sonography report.; below are my comments:

1. Normal weight gain is 10-12 kg throughout the pregnancy period. Your wife gains 13 kg weight as compared to pre pregnant state. It is little higher than normal and may be due to big baby with better growth & development.

2. Report reveals that BPD (Bi Parietal Diameter) & HC (Head Circumference) are slight higher than normal as compared to gestational age. In this stage standard BPD & HC measurements are 7.6 cm & 27.4 cm respectively. AC(Abdominal Circumference) and FL (Femoral Length) is normal and corresponds to gestational age.

3. Above normal BPD & HC measurements suggest that head is more mature and slight large or overestimated methodically during sonography. Baby is big enough as compared to maternal weight gain, BPD & HC. However it does not suggest anything abnormality.

4. Please do a repeat Ultrasonography scan after 4 weeks for assessment of fetal development and consult with your Obstetrician regarding this.

5 In addition you may also do the following:
- Take healthy diet & Periodic check up.
- Continue Iron/calcium supplements
- Avoid heavy work and stress
- Adequate rest with left lateral position
- Maintain personal hygiene properly

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your wife better health and successful motherhood...