Pregnant. Scan showed minimum fullness of foetal bilateral renal pelvis. What does that mean?

Mar 2013
iam XXXXXXX i need a clarafication, iam 6 months pregnant in my 2nd trimster scan the impression given is 'minimum fullnes of foetal bilateral renal pelvis noted" Please tell me whether the problem will affect my baby......whether my baby can lead a normal life?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later

Mild renal pelvis dilation---dilation of between 5 and 9 mm---is a reasonably common finding among pregnancies of 20 weeks. Approximately one in 100 fetuses will be affected. Only 4 percent of cases of renal pelvis dilation will require further treatment after birth. If dilation is still present later in the pregnancy, your child will be offered a postnatal scan.

When an unborn baby's renal pelvis becomes dilated, this indicates that the pelvis is retaining urine---either it is not leaving the kidneys or it is flushing back to the kidneys up the ureter. This could be due to some sort of blockage or compression of the ureter. It could also be the result of a slight defect in the formation of the kidneys and ureter in very early pregnancy.

A diagnosis of mild renal pelvis dilation is extremely unlikely to cause any difficulties during the remainder of the pregnancy or in delivery. In the vast majority of cases found at 20 weeks, the problem will be temporary. Very occasionally the renal pelvis can continue to dilate, but this does not necessarily indicate further problems. The condition only becomes significantly worse if the dilation is severe---greater than 15 mm---or there is also a defect detected in the kidneys.

In cases of mild renal pelvis dilation, there is a chance that, once born, your baby may be more prone to infections of the urinary tract than other children. However, these should pose no significant risk with early diagnosis and proper treatment. Some studies have linked renal pelvis dilation with cases of Down syndrome, but it is important to remember that this link is very weak. Blood screening for Down syndrome in early pregnancy is far more reliable, and an ultrasound will find 50 percent of cases. If Down syndrome is still a concern, you should consider amniocentesis.

If renal pelvis dilation is present at 20 weeks, a further scan will take place at 34 weeks to assess the situation. By this time, the pelvis may no longer be enlarged. If dilation is still present, it is likely that your child will be offered a scan two to three weeks after birth; if an infection is then diagnosed, it will be treated with antibiotics. If the dilation has become severe---greater than 15 mm---or the kidneys are affected, then the baby may need a scan and surgical treatment after birth.

Please get your quadruple marker test done to know the risks of any associated abnormalities.
With minimum fullness of bilateral renal pelvis, chances are extremely high that your child would be most normal after birth.

Take care, feel free to discuss further.
All the best
Follow-up: Pregnant. Scan showed minimum fullness of foetal bilateral renal pelvis. What does that mean? 44 hours later
thankx doctor......i took anamoly scan yesterday.they have reported that fetus left side kidney is normal (4mm) and right side kidney is minimal(5mm)..they told me to take scan after 2 there any problem and please let me know what are the precautionary steps i need to take to solve this problem....i took urine test also in that my pus cells is 9 to 10hpf ...please tell me whether i am having urinary infection is there or not...if it is there tell me the solution....
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Right now the problem is minimal.
In most cases, this resolves as pregnancy advances.
You would know for sure only in later scans.
Pus cell are significant.
You would need urine culture based antibiotics,
Have plenty of fluids.
Avoid dehydration.
Maintain good local hygiene.