Pregnant. Noticed pimple like red spots on thighs,abdomen and hands. LFT test done. Any harm on foetus?

Question
LFT test shows S.Alkaline Phosphatase as 171 for my 9 month pregnant wife, the gyna has suggested for LFT test due to pimple like red spots on her thighs,abdomen and hands. Is this harmful for her or the baby ?
The other values in the report are:
S.Total Bilirubin 0.3
S.Direct Bilirubin 0.1
S.Indirect Bilirubin 0.2
S.Total Protein 6.2
S.Albumin 2.6
S.Globulin 3.6
S.A/G Ratio 0.72
S.SGOT(AST) 23
S.SGPT(ALT) 27
S.Alkaline Phosphatase 171
S.G.G.T 10
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Hi, congrats on the baby

Alkaline phosphatase is produced by the liver, bones, small intestine , kidneys and placenta.
The levels increase as pregnancy progress and can reach up to 2 to 3 times what is expected in non pregnant females.
The exact normal range can vary from lab to lab but in general (in the absence of pregnancy) it can be 44 to 147 iu/l or 50 to 75 mg/dl in some labs.
I am not sure what units your lab used.
If either of these units above is used and doubled (as can happen in pregnancy), your wife's value would either would be within expected range(if 1st units used ) or just above (if second units used).

Alkaline phosphatase cannot be used by itself to diagnose liver disease in pregnancy because its levels are expected to be high, it has to be used with the other liver function tests that you have documented.
The other values are not indicative of any liver disease.

You might want to consider speaking to your doctor if you consider to have fears.

I hope this information allays your fears, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed pimple like red spots on thighs,abdomen and hands. LFT test done. Any harm on foetus? 21 minutes later
Hi Thanks for the reply & wishes, Please find the values along with the units/reference values mentioned in the report.

S.Total Bilirubin 0.3 mg/dl Ref: 0.2 - 1.2
S.Direct Bilirubin 0.1 mg/dl Ref: 0.1 - 0.4
S.Indirect Bilirubin 0.2 mg/dl Ref: 0.2 - 0.6
S.Total Protein 6.2 g/dl Ref: 6.6 - 8.7
S.Albumin 2.6 g/dl Ref: 3.5 - 5
S.Globulin 3.6 g/dl Ref: 2.8 - 4.5
S.A/G Ratio 0.72 Ref: 1.3 - 2
S.SGOT(AST) 23 IU/I Ref: 5 - 40
S.SGPT(ALT) 27 U/I Ref: 5 - 40
S.Alkaline Phosphatase 171 U/I Ref: 39 - 117
S.G.G.T 10 U/I Ref: 10 - 50

From your answer I understood that this rise in values could be normal and also safe for both mom & baby ?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Hi

Yes, alkaline phosphate rises in pregnancy because it is produced in the placenta. Double your normal reference ranges would put a limit of 234 u/i and 171 lies below this.
If your doctor notices any indication of liver disease like jaundice or intense itching he or she may repeat the tests but at present looking at that value and the other liver function tests , there is no obvious sign of liver dysfunction.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed pimple like red spots on thighs,abdomen and hands. LFT test done. Any harm on foetus? 12 minutes later
Thanks for the reply,

Just to review that these could have led to the rashes on the body (quoted earlier: thighs, calfs, hands etc), or could it be due to some external disturbance on the skin (due to other reason) ?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
Hi

From the blood results quoted it is unlikely that any issue in the liver led to the rashes seen.
In terms of other causes- rashes can have numerous causes, they can occur on their own or with systemic illness.
On their own they can be due to allergic response to food, dust, animals or any agent used on the skin (these are just a few of the potential causes of an allergic response), they can occur due to bacterial , fungal or viral infection, it can be a inflammatory response.
The fact that the rash was so wide spread may indicate an allergic or inflammatory response to something that was ingested or placed on the skin, though it can occur in other scenarios as well.
Diagnosis of a rash is visual and difficult to do otherwise.

I hope this allays your fears, if the rash persists or worsens you should consider revisiting your doctor or going to see a dermatologist.
Feel free to ask any other questions