Pregnant. Noticed blood in bowel movement. Will it be safe to take norflox-tz?

Mar 2016

hello sir i m nw 7th week of pregnancy morning when i went to motion i saw red blood in my motion is any problem to baby....nw i can norflox-tz medicine
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am more concerned about your problem.

Blood in stool is a not normal finding. It may be due to Gastrointestinal infection, probably Bacillary Dysentery (blood mixed watery stool) or due to trauma associated with constipation or fissures in ano. Though fissure and trauma induced bleed are self limiting, dysentry associated bleed need attention. I explain the thing as follows:

If dysentery is mild degree, then there is no harmful effect to baby as mostly are self limiting. Certain complication may arise in both maternal & fetal in moderate to severe degree dysentery or Gastrointestinal infection. These include increased chance of miscarriage, defective organogenesis, maternal dehydration etc specially in first trimester of pregnancy.

In this scenario, a Stool test, Urine examination & Blood test are required to rule out causative organism. Fetal monitoring by ultrasound is also needed.

Combination of norfloxacin-tinidazole is not safe during early pregnancy and it causes harmful effect to baby or congenital defect.

Here you require to drink more water mixed with electrolyte Oral Rehydrated Salt (ORS) powder with safe antibiotic therapy like Ampicillin/ Cephalosporin group of drug. In addition,some probiotics may be advisable.

Please consult with your treating doctor regarding this for proper medication & suggestive measures.

Some basic things you need to follow:
1) Complete Bed Rest preferably in first trimester.
2) Continue Folic acid supplements and Protein XXXXXXX diet.
3) Avoid long journey/ heavy work/ high heel shoe.
4) Avoid stress/ emotional upset & maintain personal hygiene.
5) Avoid refrigerated food stuff & eat fresh vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health and successful motherhood.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed blood in bowel movement. Will it be safe to take norflox-tz? 10 hours later
but my doctor said no problem u take norflor-TZ 3days morning and night......she said nothing to worry....
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later
Thanks again for follow up query.

As you are carrying just 7th weeks of pregnancy, then taking above combined medication causes harmful effect to your baby such as defective organogenesis in some percentage.
Therefore, it is better to avoid such type of medication or unprescribed drugs at least 12 weeks of pregnancy until organogenesis is completed.

You can follow above said measures or consult with your treating doctor.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of yourself.
Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed blood in bowel movement. Will it be safe to take norflox-tz? 2 hours later
thanq sir i ill avoid that tablets....again if i see blood in stool what i should do......i m worrying but my doctor said nothing to be worried.......
Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later

As discussed earlier, presence of blood in the stools can be harmful if it is associated with intestinal infection. Getting your stool tested will rule out such possibilities. Until then please follow above measures.

Don't be much worried and enjoy your pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
You can close the discussion and rate the answer if you have no further queries.

Dr Soumen