Pregnant. Having loss of appetite and not gaining much weight. What should I do?

im not gaining much weight and not feel like to eat anything nowdays as im 5 Months Pregnanat
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 16 hours later

Welcome and thanks for the query

In pregnancy nausea and loss of appetite is very common and there are food fads also.It is better to take frequent small meals.You can take tablet doxylamine at bed time and elixir neogadine twice daily under doctor's prescription.As you are having hypothyroidism and not gaining much weight , it is better to get thyroid profile repeated.If TSH level is not below 3 then you have to increase the dose and there is a tablet containing LTyrosine which is given at bedtime along with thyronorm in the morning which gives better results but it should be strictly taken under doctor's guidance and is contraindicated in hypertension.It comes with the name thyrowel.As far as weight gain is concerned it should be approximately 1kg per month.Eat the foods which you like the most and keep on changing the recipe and menu.Morning walk for 20 minutes increases the appetite and is must especially with thyroid problem.Regular iron supplements and calcium should be taken.There are protein powders with DHA and other nutrients are available in the market and they help in gaining the weight.
I hope this helps you , any further query is most welcome
Best wishes and good luck
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having loss of appetite and not gaining much weight. What should I do? 5 hours later
In the month of march im planning to go to my home town XXXXXXX by bus would it be safe to travel at that time as i would be 6 Month Pregnanat
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 46 minutes later

As you know the conditions of the roads in XXXXXXX so it is better to travel by your own vehicle.Travelling by bus in XXXXXXX may cause nausea and vomitings , if the journey is unavoidable then you may take a tablet of avomine before sitting in the bus or one hour before along with an antacid like pentoperazole under doctor's prescription.
Take tablet duvadilan or isxsuprine hydrochloride a day before starting the journey and continue it for a week or 10 days.

Best wishes once again