Pregnant. Getting fetal movement on regular basis but missed today. Is this normal?

My wife is in her 30th week of pregnancy. She would notice the baby movements and kicks on a regular basis. However, she has noticed any movements nor any kicks all day today and she is concerned. Is this normal baby behavior?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to answer your question. I am sorry about the delay!!

By the 30th week of pregnancy, fetal movement is well established and follows predictable patterns throughout the day. Here is what I tell patients:

1. In any two hour window, you should be able to feel the baby move IF you are paying attention
2. You should be able to count 10 movements in 2 hours
3. There are patterns of movement throughout the day (more movement after meals and in the evenings)

Based on what you are telling me, if she has not done this already, she needs to call her OB/GYN or OB Provider and come in to be monitored. Please do this right away.

If you have any followup questions, please ask!!