Pregnant. Feeling itchy all over body. Normal?

Dear Doctor,
My wife is 6 Month Pragnent . For the Last Around One Month she is feeling itching all her body, is it Normal or any allergy,
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later

There are two possible reasons for symptoms - allergy or cholestasis of pregnancy (jaundice of pregnancy).

In case of allergy, she should get relief by taking anti histaminic.

In case problem persists, Your wife might have cholestasis of pregnancy, in which itching occurs all over body with derange LFT (liver function test) and increase alkaline phosphatase level.

You should consult a gynaecologist for LFT test (to rule out cholestasis of pregnancy) and USG (ultra sonography to confirm fetal well being).

For itching relief please apply coconut oil mixed with camphor, take plenty of water and Udiliv tablet (after your gynaecologist consultation)

Hope I have aswered your query, if you have further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr. Richa
Follow-up: Pregnant. Feeling itchy all over body. Normal? 1 hour later

Thank a lot , doctor XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 22 minutes later
Wish your wife a safe and healthy pregnancy. Do write us in case of any assistance/clarity required. Take care.

Dr. Richa