Pregnancy in uterus, lower abdomen and shoulder pain. Is it ectopic pregnancy?

My daughter is in extreme pain! They found one ongoing pregnancy in her uterus but also some fluid in her ouch of XXXXXXX She is 5+ gestation, no bleeding and good hcg levels but she is being retested today or tomorrow! Pain in lower abdomen and shoulder tip pain in both left and right sholders
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think the possibility of am ectopic pregnancy(pregnancy outside the uterus) needs to be strongly considered in your daughter. Besides, we should also be looking at pelvic inflammatory disease ( particularly if she has fever or foul smelling vaginal discharge)
The shoulder tip pain indicates that the process is pretty advanced and if I were you, I would take her to the ER right away. She may need an open procedure like a laparoscopy to know what is going on. Additionally, she would need intravenous fluids as well.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can address any more concerns.