Power in both eyes, lasik surgery, cosmetic surgery. Advantages and disadvantages ?

My eye power is -10 and -9 resp for left n right eye
Should I go for a Lasik?
What are advantages and disadvantages ?
Also since this is a sort of cosmetic surgery, i am a bit reluctant.
pls advise
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later

Before deciding about lasik you have to know that not all cases are fit for lasik,.there are certain prerequisites
Your power should be stabilized for at least 2 years.
There should be adequate thickness of the cornea measured by pachymetery.
There should be no other disease in the eye e.g.dryness,glaucoma or degenerations
Advantage is that you get rid of the glasses
Disadvantages are
It is costly
the flap under which laser is done is positioned over cornea and takes a very long time to heal so a small injury can evert the flap.
There is a small no. of cases where complications occur.
So what should be your approach
Go to a good eye surgeon in your city and let him examine you fully.In case if he finds a reason not to go ahead with lasik then this decision making is taken away from you.If he is satisfied then you have to make a decision.
In case of any doubt please do get back to me.