Is Amlodopine better than Metoprolol for treatment of high BP?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
HI, I recently had a heart procedure (November 7), called Oblation. Prior to this procedure I was on a high blood pressure medication called Amlodopine which worked fine in keeping my blood pressure in tow. After 5 years of headaches and muscle tightness in my right shoulder I methodically narrowed down the medications and found out that one medication (Ambien) used for insomnia was the culprit. Since discontinuing Ambien my headaches and shoulder tightness pretty much went away. But I've noticed since switching from Amlodopine to Metoprolol that the headaches and muscle tightness are becoming more frequent. Do you think I should try going back to Amlodopine? Is there a definite benefit in Metoprolol over Amlodopine?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Amlodipine is an anti-hypertensive drug of the group called "calcium-blockers". If you are having problems while taking Metoprolol, I'd suggest to discuss with your cardiologist to stop taking it. Instead, can re-start taking Amlodipine. If I was your caring doctor, would suggest to start Verapamil as it could control the problems with your heart rhythm and lower your high blood pressure at the same time. All the best! Dr.Sonila