Should I be concerned for restricted limb movements after total knee replacement?

I had a total knee replacement about two years ago and had a bad experience with sickness after surgery thus i was not able to do physical therapy for about thirty days consequently i have very limited movement about thirty degrees, can this problem be fixed, as i have a modified symes amputation on opisit leg and have trouble walking and other activities.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Post Op Arthrofibrosis, Needs management Detailed Answer: hello There! My name is Dr. S Khan and i read your concern about Post operative limb Mobility restrictions Which is called in our term as Arthrofibrosis. I want you to know that Your management of post operative movement has been compromised. Usually such cases needs a continuous Passive movements( CPM ) which has machines for it, And these activities start after surgery with in 24 hours and continue for months under the supervision of physiotherapist. Now your lack of any physiotherapy for first 30 days have complicated the situation by excessive scarring of the wound there. And once scars form that connective tissue itself is a challenge to get rid of. Now it will need time more than usual time expected in months to years under physiotherapy to gain that mobility and that even is not sure. It needs evaluation of excessive scarring and a complete examination. Seek the physiotherapists consult and let him decide what is best for you. Don't worry it will regain its close range to 90 degree limb flexion; but it will take time. Lets hope it gets to that with conservative approach of physiotherapy and exercises. Otherwise aggressive approach of manipulation under anesthesia with CPM therapy and excision of scar tissue will be considered. Stay in touch with your doctor and seek his guidance and do as directed. Good Luck and get well soon. If you have any more queries for me, please feel free to ask, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of yourself. regards Dr. S Khan