Possibility of getting rabies from disposing or smelling dead animal? Should I get PEP?

Question
Hi doc. I found a dead split in half rabbit on my backyard and pieces all over... Obviusly attacked by a coyote or fox... I cleaned it up with a stick and a couple of times my hand to push stuff in the bag. Also there was a unknown piece of matter away from the carcass, i did not know what it was , so i smelled it, come to find out it was the rabbits intestine.. Could i get rabies from disposing of the animal with my hands if the fox or coyote had it and left its saliva... Can you get rabies from smelling something that could be contaminated? Should i get PEP?
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 57 minutes later

No, smelling of the carcass do not spread rabies.The rabies virus is present in saliva of the infected animal.The saliva when out for long and dried the virus do not live as the host cells disintegrate due to lack of life support.

There are chances of getting rabies when the saliva of the infected animal is mixed with the human blood , in cases like the saliva contaminating the open wound present on the body.

I do not think you are infected if you have washed your hands and do not have any open wounds on the hands.Also the status of the animal involved is not known.It could be infected or no infected , hence the chances are less.

Need not worry, there is no need for PEP.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Possibility of getting rabies from disposing or smelling dead animal? Should I get PEP? 35 minutes later
Doc... Thank you for the answer... Just one last question...my hand had a couple of mosquito bites that i scratched. A day before, so there was tiny scabs on it... Would that be considered a open wound? ...And does that Change the requirement for PEP? Im just afraid that i let this go and then its too late...

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, the mosquito bite scratch marks would be very small and surely they would develop scab on them.Hence, they cannot be considered open wounds and there are no chances of them being the portal for infection.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

regards,

Follow-up: Possibility of getting rabies from disposing or smelling dead animal? Should I get PEP? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 minutes later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.