Pocket of fluid on neck line, appeared after massage, swollen. Does not pain but stiff. Advise?

I have a pocket of fluid on my right front side of my neck in line with my throat in the V from neck to shoulder - it first appeared after a back/neck massage and then subsided after a few days but not back to normal - I stretched my neck this am and it has swollen up again - please can you advise me here as to why this happens and should I be concerned - it is not painful but my neck is stiff - plse can you help me
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The swelling in the front of the neck extending upto your shoulder that appeared after a session of massage could be due to an abscess ( a collection of pus) or a soft tissue swelling due to local injury.
A direct examination is needed to find out the exact cause.
I encourage you to consult your physician for proper clinical examination and relevant investigations. Treatment will depend on the cause.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area to relieve the neck stiffness.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.