Pink spot on upper inner thigh, small, round, chronic, turned reddish, burning. Treatment ?

I noticed about a week ago pink spot the size of a nickle on upper inner thigh. It is not going away. As of yesterday it is turning reddish and i feel a little of a burning sensation.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 30 minutes later

You have described well but I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Is the inflamed area around any hair root?
2. Is it a single lesion or many or present?
3. Can you upload the photograph of the area?

If it is around a hair root, it could be due many conditions but most commonly due to Keratosis Pilaris.

You have to take measures to prevent excessive skin dryness, especially in winter season, use mild soaps like Dove, Soapless cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser. Do lubricate skin with special lotions containing lactic acid like AmLactin or Lac-Hydrin lotion.

Keratosis pilaris is not completely curable but may become lighter with time. It is not contagious or tends to run in families (genetic association), may spontaneously clear without treatment

Keratosis pilaris requires daily lubrication, gentle exfoliation, and glycolic or lactic acids.

You have the option of uploading the photo on the right side of the query box. Please do confirm by writing hear regarding uploading of the photo as to reply you at the earliest.

Please do reply back with the answers to the above questions and also upload the photo of the lesion as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Pink spot on upper inner thigh, small, round, chronic, turned reddish, burning. Treatment ? 2 hours later
Thanks. Here is the answer to the 3 questions below:

1- Hair is grown thru the lesion (see pic)
2- it is a single lesion
3- picture is uploaded. Actually the lesion now looks drier in the center with a ring of readness on the outscirt.

Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 48 minutes later

Thanks again for following up.

I have looked at the pictures sent by you.

A single red lesion with central healing and peripheral activity is probably due to fungal infection - may be 'Tinea', commonly called ring worm infection.

I encourage you to consult a dermatologist for physical examination. Topical antifungal creams are useful in treating this condition. Your dermatologist can prescribe it to you.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.