What is the treatment for dry skin looking like snake skin?

Feb 2013

Hi sir my sister's total body is having full dry skin which looks like snake skin by birth she is 12years old.we have consulted so many doctors but no use from 12years. Please suggest what to do. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply daily an emollient. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Dry skin with scales like that of snake is seen in people with a dermatological condition known as Icthyosis. It is a skin disorder of cornification(keratinization). It is an inherited and familial condition of skin. It is a life lasting condition but it can be controlled by applying emollient or a lubricant over the skin. Scaling may be decreased by daily application of an emollient or a lubricant containing urea, salicylic acid, or an alpha hydroxyl acid such as lactic acid. The important thing is regular and daily application of emollient over the skin to make it moist and hydrated so that the scaling will diminished. Therefore I suggest you to contact a dermatologist for clinical examination and for prescription of topical emollient or lubricant. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.