Pimples at the base of penis, no pain. Is it contagious?

Question
Hi I got pimples at the base of penis, They seems to be there since last month. They dont pain or anything but they are small to medium bumps around pubic hair area. I was sexually inactive for last 6 month but now partner will be joining me so I am worried whether it contagious. Is it safe to have protected ex with her or need to refrain ?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern. As you have mentioned that the pimples are concentrated near the hair follicles, it can be due to folliculitis which is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions.

For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics like Neosporin or Bactroban. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective.

If the symptoms persist then you may need oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pimples at the base of penis, no pain. Is it contagious? 3 hours later
Will this be contagious ? Is it safe to have a sex with partner or will it be transmitted?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The bacteria that cause folliculitis are somewhat contagious and can be spread from one person to another. For this reason, you should avoid sharing razors, towels, or washcloths until the infection has been successfully treated.