Photosensitive epilepsy, triggered by CRT screen, PSE, no seizure for 6 years

Hi - in 2004 I was diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy, my only trigger was sitting in front of a CRT screen. I had a normal EEG, but since the neuro noticed that my only correlation was with the CRT screen, he diagnosed me with PSE. I've avoided them and been seizure free for 6 years. Could I randomly get a seizure without a trigger?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Photosensitive epilepsy presents with epileptiform seizures upon exposure to certain visual stimuli. The exact nature of the stimulus or stimuli that triggers the seizures varies from one patient to another. Its not that the stimuli which produces seizures in one can produce in other too.

Since in you it was proved that the CRT screen was the lone stimuli and the same was avoided for 6 years, I would not consider you being at risk of seizures any more.

The desensitization process would have occurred over the time ( 6 years ) where you have avoided the trigger.Hence there are chances where you may not have seizure activity even with the same CRT screen now( do not try).Other triggers may be considered of negligible risk.

I could conclude saying that ,Its less likely to get a seizure without a trigger here.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.