Persisting loose stools after the gallstone surgery. Have thyroid problem

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor Goodevening, as my Wife is suffering from loose motion since 15 months and on the 22nd of february 2011 she has undergone a Gallstone Surgery also but still she is experiencing the same problem and Syptoms which was earlier of the bowels which are somehow of sticky type and not solid, due to this she is getting depressed too much. She is a working Lady aged 29 Years and weighs around 72 Kgs. She is also a Thyroid Patient, Now what shall I do...? Please advice....
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later

As mentioned in your history the symptoms existed before gall bladder surgery so it rules out post Cholecystectomy syndrome (Symptoms after gall bladder surgery)

I would need few clarifications in order to help you better:

What is her job profile?
Is she a stressful anxious personality?
Does she have other symptoms like blood in stool, pain in abdomen, nausea, vomiting?
Do you have any reports like stool or sigmoidoscopy?

Get back to me with these clarifications and I will sort out your issue.

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Persisting loose stools after the gallstone surgery. Have thyroid problem 7 hours later
Thankyou So much Doctor kukreja,

in reference to your question I hereby say that my Wife is a School Teacher at Delhi Public School, Dhanbad, Jharkhand and in Job since 7 Years, she is not suffering from stress always but it is very situational like she gets upset due to her illness.

Sir, she has no symptoms like blood in stools, No such pain in abdomen but slight irritation sometimes which does not persist for a long time. And no such cases of nausea and vomiting tendencies but generally passes wind or belching after having food. She complains about her pain in knees while sitting down and getting up, this kneen pain is also since almost the same period when she is facing this problem of Irritable Bowel (semi fluid, sticky type) which happens only once or hardly twice a day.

Sir, as per her stool test reports every aspects are reported to be normal (Starch Granules - occasional and Vegetable cells - Occasional).

as per her Lipid Test (Lipro) reports on 30th of Dec 2011

Cholestrol total = 104.6
HDL direct = 34.3
Triglycerides = 24.3
LDL = 65.44
VLDL = 4.86
TC / HDL Ratio = 3.05
LDL / HDL Ratio = 1.91

And as per her Liver Function tests reports on 11th Oct 2011

all were under normal range except
Aspartate aminotransferase (SGOT) = 53.10
Alanine Transaminase (SGPT) = 41.80
Alkaline Phosphatase = 115.80

and also as per her TSH test Report last on 30th of dec11

TSH = 4.99 which was earlier on the higher side = 9.19 on 16th of April 2011, rest T3, T4 were normal.

Sir, I have the copies of all reports since the beginning, if you will ask me I can also attach these and send to you for your perusal and action.

I would be anxiously waiting for your response as I am really very worried about her Health currently regarding this bowel symptoms........?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your followup query

Your detailed history will help us sort your issue easily

All the reports appear normal

Also you have already mentioned the diagnosis, yes she is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome

There is a cycle of symptoms the patient is under stress at subconscious level this leads to disturbed bowel which in turn upsets the patient

The treatment consists of medicines and stress management by either Yoga or meditation and if need be with medicines

The Medicines for irritable bowel syndrome [IBS] include probiotics, calcium channel blockers and Intestinal Antiseptics like Rifaximin

The belching and passage of wind also will be controlled by these medications

The knee pain though not directly related to IBS we have observed patients reporting joint pains and that also passes of with medications

Yet my ultimate advise will be stress management

Hope all clear, if you have no further queries do accept my reply

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery
Follow-up: Persisting loose stools after the gallstone surgery. Have thyroid problem 2 hours later
Dr Kukreja,

thanks Once again, but how can I be sure regarding this Sir, as I am very worried about this fact whether in future this will lead to a bigger disease like Carcinoma / Cancer or not ? In that case what can be the symptoms, Please make me understand regarding this that whether I need to go to any higher Centre for further check up or Not or if u will ask me to go for Endoscopy GI also then I am ready to go for it as one more aspect can also be cleared that H Pylori is there or not ? Sir, please dont take it otherwise...I have no doubts about your caliber but I need to be convinced too.

Doctor, for my own understanding please tell me that how can Calcium Channel Blocker help in IBS related problems and what can be the ideal dosage and how long she has to use this, because her SBP and DBP is almost perfect 120/80 last time.

Sir, if possible please Rxb the Medicine also because previously we have tried all other medicines related to this like Probiotics, Rifampicin and all but those are of no use till now.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your follow up.

I can understand your concerns.

There is no diagnostic aid to confirm Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is a clinical diagnosis.

If you are concerned about carcinoma you have to rule it out by endoscopy. Equally applicable to H. Pylori, you can go for endoscopy or a blood test available

Pharmacokinetics of any medicine is out of scope of online consultation

Unfortunately ethically as I have not examined the patient I cannot prescribe medicines.

Hope all clear. If there are no further queries do accept my reply

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.