Period irregularities in 45 years old,lighter in color. Pre-menopause symptoms?

Hi, I´m 45 years old and lately I´m having a lot of irregularities in my period. Usually, when not on the pill, my periods are 21 days apart. A few months ago they started to be 27-28 days very rare on me and now they are lighter but closer about 15 days apart. My friends say it could be perimenopause, but I´m scared.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Increase in frequency of periods is usually due to hormonal irregularities.
For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and androgen profile can be done.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.