Pea stuck in throat, cough, COPD. Treatment and advise?

ENT Specialist
I have a pea stuck ib my throat since yesterday, It makes me cough except
when lying down. I am 84 years old, 155 llbs and suffer from COPD
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should see an ENT Specialist. Get your throat and larynx examined by a video-laryngoscope. This would also help rule out any associated conditions. Ask for a chest auscultation, X-ray and barium swallow.

2. It is highly unlikely that a rounded foreign body such as a pea will be missed on direct examination. It is also unlikely to be in the airway, as the spasms and coughing would be very violent. The cricopharynx (upper opening of the food pipe / esophagus) is the narrowest part of the gut. Once the food has passed through this area, it passes through the entire gut.

3. Foreign bodies, however are notorious for bizarre presentations. It is better to go through this simple examination to remove all doubt. These conditions are worsened by acid reflux and stress. A flexible endoscopy may be suggested by your physician.

4. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.