Pea sized lump under right armpit, painful, reddish. had mastitis surgery, scar tissue remaining. No mammogram done. Treatment for lumps?

I noticed yesterday a pea sized lump all the way inside my right armpit. I have noticed lumps before and they always go away. Should I worry and rush to the Dr?? I am 46 and have not had a mammogram yet..because I am so afraid of getting a false negative. I had surgery for mastitis in y right breast and am sure there is scar tissue there and I dont want it to be mistaken for cancer. The lump didnt hurt at first but today it feels like the skin on it hurts and is a little red. When searching for lumps, I find myself digging down with ny fingers.Is this right??
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later

Thanks for your query

History which you gave goes in the favour of an inflammatory lump or boil.

Scar tissue can not be mistaken for cancer.

Flat hand palpation is the right method rather than poking it with fingers.

Take NSAID's and watch it carefully , if the size grows it is better to go for the investigations.

It will be better if you show it to a surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Best wishes