Passing stool after feed. Suggested toddler diahhrea and gave Zinconia. Precautions? Cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi My son is 7 months old. He has started solid diet before a month ago. But for the last 2 weeks he started passing stool after every feed. Approximately he is passing stool for 4 to 5 times a day. My doctor said it is nothing but toddler diahhrea, gave Zinconia 5 ml twice a day for 5 days. 5 days course is over but still he is passing stool after every feed. Please let me know when will it be cured and what precautions to be taken ?
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Infants usually pass stool after each feed due to presence of gastrocolic reflex which is a normal phenomenon in this age group. Because of this reflex they will pass stool whenever they take feeds.

If the stool is loose, watery, foul smelling, or associated with mucus or blood then it may be due to infection which could be caused by a bacteria or a virus.

If the stool is well formed and not watery, nothing to worry and it is normal.

If stool is loose or semisolid you can give an oral probiotic like lactobacillus or saccharomyces XXXXXXX for 3 to 5 days after adding in 5 to 10 ml milk or water.

ORS like Pedialyte sips can be given to maintain hydration of the child if the stools are loose and watery.

Precaution is to take proper hygienic methods while preparing, handling, and feeding the infant foods.

Nothing to worry if the stool is of normal consistency and well formed. The frequency of stool passing will decrease as the age grows.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Passing stool after feed. Suggested toddler diahhrea and gave Zinconia. Precautions? Cure? 15 hours later
Thanks for your advice. One more query I have. Whether he could be given the vaccines that are due?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Which vaccines are due for him at present?

Has he given optional vaccines like oral rota vaccine and pneumococcal conjugate vaccine?

By this time your child should have received BCG, Polio, and three primary doses of DPT, HiB, and HBV.

After this shots, the next schedule is for Measles vaccination at 9 months age.

If he is due for any vaccination, you can consult the pediatrician for the update of any missing vaccines.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know and kindly provide me the details I have asked in this query to advise you in a better way.

Regards.

Follow-up: Passing stool after feed. Suggested toddler diahhrea and gave Zinconia. Precautions? Cure? 9 minutes later
The vaccine that is due is Hepatitis-B that is given after completion of 6 months. Other vaccines that you have mentioned are already given.
Among the optional vaccines Rota-Virus is given and first dose of Pneumococcal Conjugate has been given.
My doctor said that since first dose of Pneumococcal Conjugate is given at 6th month, she would give hepatitis B on 7th month and the second dose of Pneumococcal Conjugate on 8th month and the last dose of Pneumococcal Conjugate will be given after a year.
So at present 3rd dose of Hepatitis B is due.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for providing me the information.

Yes he can be given the due vaccinations as per the schedule.

Get him vaccinated for the 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine at present and the remaining two doses of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines-one at 8 months of age and the other after 1 year of age.

Hope I have answered your query and if you have any doubt please let me know.

Thank you for contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

Regards.