Ask a Urologist   »  

Passing blood in urine. Test showed protein and gamma GT over 1000. What could it be?

I have problems urinating, I pass blood and protein and my gamma GT is over 1000, what could it be? I have spoken to my GP but would like a second opinion, am due to have a scan on the liver and bladder
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Passage of protein and blood in the urine is commonly seen due to infections in the urinary tract.Wound in any part of the urinary tract can lead to blood and protein in the urine.Hence , further tests to ascertain the exact site of the injury or pathology has to be done.

Tests like Renal function test to asses the kidney well being and a Ultrasound scan to find any pathology in the urinary tract including the bladder has to be done.

The GGT ( gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) is an enzyme related to liver and is seen raised in liver damage due to consumption of alcohol.A liver function test and a ultrasound scan of the liver will provide detailed insights into the extent of damage and also help in planning the management.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Passing blood in urine. Test showed protein and gamma GT over 1000. What could it be? 4 hours later

Thanks for your response.

When I went to A&E they tested for infection of the UT

My drinking is nowhere near excessive, a few units here or there, could the tramadol and amatriptaline be causing this? Which I have both now stopped.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the drugs you mentioned can also be the cause for the GGT to be raised.GGT has low specificity it can be seen raised due to many causes which can result in liver damage.

The tests I mentioned above will give us some more information to find out the exact cause for the above pathology.

Wish you good health.