Pale stools after taking Ramipril. Serious side effect?

Jan 2013

Hi, I started Ramipril ten days ago and my stool is becoming very pale as is my urine. I am worried I may be getting a serious side effect!
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

Do you have yellow discoloration of sclera/ itching in body/ loss of appetite/ weakness and fatigue/ fever?

Ramipril is wonderful drug with minimal side effects. Ramipril is associated with pale colored urine and stool.

Side effects of ramipril includes low blood sugar (in patients taking medication for diabetes), causing sweating or shakiness, dry cough, dizziness and lightheadedness due to low blood pressure, tiredness and fatigue, especially in the early stages, mouth dryness in the early stages, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (persistent in rare cases), fainting, change in amount of urine, signs of infection (e.g., fever, chills, persistent sore throat), yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine, stomach or abdominal pain, neutropenia (low white blood cells), impotence (erectile dysfunction).

You should consult with physician and gastro-physician and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, Liver function test, urine analysis for bile pigments and bile salts, ultrasound imaging.

Yellow color may be due to jaundice or due tometabolites of ramipril.

This can be differentiated by above prescribed blood investigations.

If jaundice is absent then you can continue the same medication without any harmful effects.

Put your views if any.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava