Painless lump on the forehead. What to do?

Dermatologist
Question
I am a 47 year old female. I recently noticed a verical ridge or lump on my forehead. I does not hurt. I have been to my demotolgist and my gp doctors and they do not know what it is. It run almost up the center of my forehead.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

As I believe that more information can help a physician suggest better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
• Did you have a similar problem in the past?
• Does the lesion itch? If yes, how severe is it?
• Do you have any similar lesions on any other part of the body like arms, neck, chest?
• Do you have any other known allergies/food/drug sensitivity?
• Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /any systemic symptoms?
• Does any family member have similar lesions?
• Do you have any h/o trauma to the site.

It would be great if you could upload more pictures of the skin lesions (a close-up and distant view) using upload images section on the right. Alternatively, you can email them to me at YYYY@YYYY with the following subject ATTN to Dr Sudarshan.

Please do write back to me with the details so that I can guide you better.

Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Painless lump on the forehead. What to do? 18 hours later
Did you have a similar problem in the past? NO
• Does the lesion itch? If yes, how severe is it? NO
• Do you have any similar lesions on any other part of the body like arms, neck, chest? NO
• Do you have any other known allergies/food/drug sensitivity? NO
• Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /any systemic symptoms? NO
• Does any family member have similar lesions? NO
• Do you have any h/o trauma to the site. NO

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the follow-up and clarifications.

I have gone through your pic and history given by you.

I can see a vertical ridge on forehead but picture you have sent is hazy and unclear to comment on it.

It can be a multiple things like keloid ,sebaceous cyst,lipoma and many other things.

A close up view and physical examination is necessary before coming to a diagnosis.

I suggest you to visit a board qualified general surgeon who can examine the swelling and give his opinion .

Few blood investigations would be needed also a X XXXXXXX of local part and Ultrasonography of local part may be needed.

A FNAC or fine needle aspiration cytology biopsy may also be needed.

The swelling is less likely to be malignant but a visit to surgeon for diagnosis is a must.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.