Painful lump under the skin on the buttocks, overweight. Suggestion?

My 16yr old has a lump under the skin on her left bottom side of her butt cheek close to her right cheek... It is pain full and hard for her to sit. Now its more like a dry patch that is very painful and burning. She is not sexually active. Not into sports. Has just started trying to lose weight and excersize. She is about 220lbs,
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 46 minutes later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It will be of great if you provide some information like whether there is any history of injury and the size of lump, is the area is warmer then the rest, redness and consistency.

The symptoms are suggestive of gluteal abscess, is a collection of pus it will be a hard lump surrounded by inflamed tissue. This usually occurs when the glands in the perianal area become infected. However, a gluteal abscess may also arise from the necrosis of fat in the buttock, which is caused by repeated trauma to the tissue.

It is also worth noting that antibiotics have little use in treating an abscess, as the medication cannot penetrate the pus. Nevertheless, antibiotics may be used to treat the other effects of infection.

A gluteal abscess can readily be identified upon examination. Treatment should be provided by way of surgical drainage.

I advice you to consult the surgeon for examination, confirmation of the diagnosis and for treatment.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer