Painful lump on waist, worsens with pressure. No relief with mobic. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. I am a 28 y/o woman. I have a painful lump at my waist on my right side. It has been bothering me for over a year. I have told my GP about this. She thought it could be inflammation in the rib cage and prescribed mobic 15 mg. This has not been beneficial. The pain feels like a dull pain with pressure and worsens when I put pressure on it
I had blood work completed 6 months ago. Insulin and Triglycerides were twice the recommended limit and both glucose and AIC were within normal limits. TSH was 8.7. My MD kept me on the same dose of synthroid because I had just increased 2 months prior. I have not been back to repeat blood work
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The painful lump on the side of the waist can possibly be due to-
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. Since it is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump like acetaminophen.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Painful lump on waist, worsens with pressure. No relief with mobic. Suggest? 9 hours later
ok thanks. My lump is under the skin. It is not visible but can be felt.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Even if the lump is not visible, all the abovesaid possibilities are likely. Direct examination and investigations will help in proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.