Painful lump on the elbow, tenderness. Is this tennis elbow or bone cancer?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi--for the past few weeks, I've had a painful hard bump on the bone on the outside of my elbow. I've also had tenderness from my elbow to my wrist--feels like a strained muscle and hurts if I lift anything. Could this be "tennis elbow"? Not sure how I would have gotten it, but I have been doing some arm exercises using bands (pulling motion). Could the bump be s symptom of bone cancer?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The bump on the outside of your elbow is most likely due to a tennis elbow. A physical examination and X-ray of the area will help in confirming the findings. This is not likely to be due to a bone cancer. Please do not worry.
You can help the symptoms by-
1. Give adequate rest to the arm.
2. Apply cold therapy.
3. Get some anti-inflammatory medication and muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
4. Immobilize the arm for a short period.
5. Neural stretching exercises are helpful under the care of a physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Painful lump on the elbow, tenderness. Is this tennis elbow or bone cancer? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your response, Dr. Tayal. My symptoms did seem to match everything I have read about tennis elbow, but I was mostly worried about the hard bump on my elbow bone. Can this be a symptom of tennis elbow as well?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The hard bump can be a sebaceous cyst or a prominent elbow process. Please do not worry. An X-ray will make the diagnosis clear.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.