Pain under breast, cannot wear bra. Done acupuncture and taken tablets. Any ideas?

General Surgeon
Have a pain under my right breast which sometimes radiates to back. It is so painful can not wear a bra and must sit up straight to lessen the pain. When laying in bed I must lay straight (not on sides or stomach) in order to get any rest. Went to ER they did multiple tests and ruled out appendicitis, kidney problems as well as gall bladder.
I was given muscle relaxers and pain killers and told it was a pulled muscle. While the pain is less it is still bothering me. Even had acupuncture done and she mentioned something about the "floating rib" being a causal factor. Have also applied ice (very painful), heat and those medicated patches in search of relief. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It seem that you are suffering from intercostal neuralgia. This is a condition when rib nerves gets irritated due to rib movement, inflammation, nerve compression, ions shortage or trauma. However if chest pain appears it is strongly advisable to rule heart diseases out. To do that ECG and heart ischeamic markers should be tested.
As a rib nerve irritation may be caused by backbone diseases, spinal MRI should be performed. It is possible that the nerve is squeezed when leaving spinal cord.
Moreover, such condition can be caused by ions shortage so the Magnesium and Calcium level should be checked.
To ease your pain, some bones-penetrating anti-inflammatory medicines should be prescribed by your doctor (Diclofenac).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.