Pain under armpits,stress,sleep aid OTC,no swelling

Hello Doctors:

I am a 30 year old female. 5'6 230 pounds. For about the past 2 months, I have had a dull pain under my armpits. It's mainly the left armpit, but from day to day, I might feel a little pain under the right as well. There is no swelling that I can feel... and no lumps... just this dull pain that isn't even excruciating or anything, but definitely there. I have read that it could be stress, however, I FEEL like I'm happier than I've been in a very long time. I do take fat burners on a daily basis as I am trying to lose weight, and on top of that, I admittedly take "sleep aids" (OTC) to get to sleep at night as the fat burners would keep me up until 4AM I think. I am really getting nervous!! What is this dull pain???? Please help!!!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

There are a few possibilities for this dull pain under both the armpits. These possibilities need to be evaluated.

1) It can be a result of localo muscle injury, infection or inflammation of Pectorallis muscle. This muscle runs is the chest that runs along the underneath rib area. If you work out a lot, especially lifting weights but you fail to warm up or cool down as a part of your fitness regimen, you put yourself at risk for straining or pulling this muscle.

2) It can be due to pinched nerves or nerve pain due to spinal causes. This can cause a referred pain in the armpits.

3) It can also be due to excessive stretching, which could be caused from working out or playing a sport or due to tight clothes if you are obese.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses in the armpit and take some prescription from your doctor. Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like raising your arms or stretching the arms which causes any further damage. Also avoid sleeping with the arm extended up behind the head.

If the symptoms persist then get a MRI scan done from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.