Pain in thigh after sitting for some time, have sciatic pain, taken testosterone shots. Help

I am a 47 year old male, 5'10" and weigh about 170 Lbs. After sitting for about 20 minutes, (in my car or chair) I begin to have pain in my rear thigh which extends up into my right buttock. The pain will get worse until I get up and move around. It has been happening more frequently and now will happen just about any time I sit for more than 20 minutes. The pain started occurring about 6 months ago, but would only affect me if I had been driving for serveral hours without a break. It has been happening more frequently and with more painful. Standing, walking or lying down does not produce any discomfort over time. At my job in factory maintenance I am sometimes on my feet for hours at a time but don't feel any pain. When I get in my car and drive home, by the time I get to the house, about 25 minutes, I am in pain. I have sciatic pain from time to time in my out right thigh but it only happens occasionaly. I have been doing strenghthening and stretching exercises I learn in PT to treat the sciatic pain for about 1 1/2 years. I do not take any prescriptions, but just finished 8 months of testerone shots from my doctor.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

The pain what you have is a nerve pain due to some compression of nerve at some place.

When ever you are in particular position like sitting due to the posture there is compression of nerve root in spinal region which gives rise to pain. When you change the posture or get up, the pressure is taken off and you are relieved.

You need to visit orthopaedic surgeon/spine surgeon for this. After examination you will need some tests like X XXXXXXX or MRI to see for any never compression or disc problem.

As this is affecting your day to day activity you need seek medical attention early.

In mean time:

Please try to maintain good posture all the time.
Sit with proper back support
Wear loose clothes and keep changing the position of leg while sitting. While sitting in chair using of step stool to rest the affected leg will definitely help.
Do not do strenuous exercise.
Maintain ideal weight and take healthy diet.
When your are standing, do not stand on both legs, means alternatively keep changing the leg and put one leg on step stool.
Do not keep anything in back pocket of your trouser while seating.

Please visit your doctor for further evaluation and advice.

I hope this helps.