Pain in the hip after a fall. Having Parkinson's disease. X-ray shows no fracture. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 81 year old dad has parkinson's and up until 11 days ago he was doing fine. Slow but was getting around okay on his own. But 11 days ago he fell in the kitchen and hurt his right hip/thigh. We took him for xray's and there was nothing broken but he is still in pain and can't get around without a walker and help from others. What should we do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Since the X-rays have come normal the most likely possibility is a soft tissue injury.
Still MRI is the best investigation to find out minor hairline fractures and other soft tissue injuries.
Right now you can give him mild pain killers like acetaminophen, ask him to do a hot fomentation and avoid bearing weight on the joint. If all the bony injuries are ruled out then soft tissue injuries usually heal in 3-4 weeks time.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.