Pain in shoulder blade while moving shoulder or inhaling deeply. Looking for relief

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I have pain in my left shoulder blade that hurts when I move my shoulder and inhale deeply
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have past history of injury or excessive use of left shoulder?
Do you have positive family history of diabetes?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Left shoulder pathology such as dislocation, frozen shoulder (common in diabetics)
As such there is no correlation between past appendectomy and present left shoulder pain.
Exacerbation of left shoulder pain after movement along with on inhalation suggests presence of inflammatory process inside the shoulder.
Pain is an important component of inflammation. Pain indicates on going inflammation.

You should consult with orthopedic surgeon/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for x XXXXXXX of left shoulder, complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and blood sugar level both fasting and postprandial.
You should also go for MRI of the left shoulder to rule out rotator cuff tear/ any inflammatory process.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Pain in shoulder blade while moving shoulder or inhaling deeply. Looking for relief 13 hours later
I'm definitely not a diabetic and thank you very much I was worried it might be a pulmonary embolism.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
Pulmonary embolism is associated with breathlessness, bleeding on cough, severe chest pain and may be with decrease blood pressure.
Your mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of Pulmonary embolism
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava