Pain in lower jaw near the chin after breast reduction surgery. Painless soft tissue present. Are these lymph nodes?

Dr. Rynne,
I am 46 years old, female, in generally good health. Non-smoker/no alcohol. Last year I had elective breast reduction surgery and since then I have been feeling strange twinges of pain in my lower jaw near my chin. Sometimes it feels like a smooth rounded area of tissue every so often and other times I do not feel anything at all. On both lower jawlines I feel a series of low rolling areas -- are these nodes and should I be ableto feel them even when I haven't been sick? They do not hurt and are not tender except for the one that sometimes feels tender closest to my chin. No abnormalities were found in pathology from breast reduction.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your query. I will do my best to help you.

I am not sure. On reading your question however my impression is that you have got nothing to worry about. Certainly, is would be hard to make any connection between what you might be feeling around your mandible and your history of having had a breast reduction.

What you are probably feeling are old lymph nodes. Over a life these can become enlarged and be palpable for a whole variety of reasons. You can relax there. You will be fine.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.