Pain in lower back, history of kidney stones, taking Metoprolol and Xanex. What does it suggest?

Hi, I have been having some odd, on-and-off pain in my lower right back, just above my buttock, for several days now. It's not terrible, just uncomfortable, and seems to radiate if I put pressure on it. I have had kidney stones a few times before; this doesn't feel like that. I just also noticed now that my stool is a bright XXXXXXX color, and is on-and-off loose. I'm a 37 year old male. I am taking Metoprolol for BP and occasional Xanex as a sleep aid, no other meds or chronic health issues. As an aside, I live in DFW, and I got chewed up by mosquitoes a couple of weeks ago - don't know if these symptoms relate to West Nile or not, but thought I'd throw that in there. Do these symptoms together suggest anything in particular? I have seen lots of people describing similar symptom combinations online, but no clear answers or correlations. I don't have a regular doc or insurance, so I would like to at least be armed with information when I go in, to avoid unnecessary tests and expenses.

Thanks very much for your help.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the lower back region can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Infections like paraspinal abscess.
3. Intra- abdominal conditions like renal infections, calculi, cholecystitis, etc.
4. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
The XXXXXXX colored stools are likely to be due to loose stools that you are having and more likely to cause a colicky pain.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.