Pain in arms, weakness. Done back surgeries. May have degenerative disc disease. What to do?

I have severe pain in my upper arms, and sometimes accompanied by weakness. I can pick up a cup of coffee and drop it. It is impacting my life seriously. I've had two back surgeries (lower back) and have been told I have degenerative disc disease (have had for many years). Don't know what to do - over the counter NSAIDS don't even touch the pain!
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
It seems the degenerative disease of your spine has found a new post.
Your symptoms are quite suggestive of neurological weakness in the upper limbs and most likely cause is the problem with spinal cord due to a generalised generative problem of vertebral column.
Please get a physical examination by a neuro-physician and most likely you would require MRI Cervical spine to be done to detect the cause and extent of the disease.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!