Pain during sex, have cervix inflammation, ultrasound showed anechoic area in ovary, have chocolate cyst

Question
Yesterday I consulted a doctor at a Womens Hospital in Shanghai because I felt pain in my vagina when having sex with my boyfriend for a few minutes. The diagnosis was cervix inflammation. To get rid of it I now have to go to the hospital every day for three days and get a cleaning and medical treatment. Beside this they made another more worrisome diagnosis by ultra sonic check. The text on the report says: Left ovary about the size of 34mmx28mm, See inside an anechoic area About the size of
19mmx15mm, owe to avoid finishing, see dotted hypoechoic, posterior echo enhance. This is a semi-machine translation from the Chinese text, my English is not good enough to describe further. For reference I add the Chineses text as well: 左卵巢大小约34mmx28mm, 内见一个无回声区,大小约19mmx15mm,避欠光整,内见点状低回声,后方回声增强
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Follow-up: Pain during sex, have cervix inflammation, ultrasound showed anechoic area in ovary, have chocolate cyst 15 minutes later
The doctor used the term chocolate cyst.

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 2 hours later
Chocolate cyst is seen in endometriosis. From your findings it is difficult to make diagnosis. In my opinion you should have repeat scan after your periods. In the mid of cycle ovaries are often enlarged due to ovulation i.e. egg formation which is normal and does not need medication.

Regarding cervical inflammation, you should have a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory under supervision of local doctor. If your repeat scan shows same finding then you need treatment in the line of endometriosis.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Pain during sex, have cervix inflammation, ultrasound showed anechoic area in ovary, have chocolate cyst 23 hours later
Hello Doctor,

thank you for the reply, the correct translation is: The size of left ovary is about 34mmx28mm, with an anechoic area of about 19mmx15mm inside. The wall is not very smooth, with hypoechoic spots and an hyperechoic area behind.

The Chinese doctor advised an operation for removal asap, I'm really scared. I am not sure whether the hospital only wants to make quick money and doesn't do the diagnosis right.

How should the check look like if done correctly?
Thank you

In my opinion you should take a short course of antibiotic. In case if the changes are due to infection, it will be cured.

Secondly, you should get an ultrasound of ovaries immediately after menstrual period. The true size of the ovaries come to picture. If the findings are same, then laparoscopy is the answer to confirm the diagnosis. It is not an emergency so need not be done asap.

This is probably the best next step to take.

Best wishes