Pain at the bottom of ribs, tingling across ribs and back. Whats the reason for getting worse?

got a pain left side of body bottom of rib area. some times tingles across ribs and around to back. at times intense pain, espec when move into new position. other times hardly notice it but know something isnt right. doesnt get worse if breathe heavily. been getting gradually worse in pain.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
For the pain in bottom rib area on left rib side, three possibilities are coming to my mind, these include:
1)The first possibility is of pleuritis - You may have VIRAL BRONCHITIS. Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection. Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall. Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve your symptoms. See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.
2) The second possibility can be of myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles. Mild antiinflammatory drugs and hot fomentation will help you. Muscle relaxants are helpful in persistent pain cases.
3)The third possibility is of hernia . Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.
I suggest you to consult a physician and get these causes ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain at the bottom of ribs, tingling across ribs and back. Whats the reason for getting worse? 8 hours later
im seeing a doctor later but im really worried about it. why does the pain sometimes exist and sometimes i move and its fine. then another time it is intense pain. im worried this is the more serious.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
From your description it seems to be a muscular pain. This is not likely to be due to any serious cause. A physical examination will be helpful in determining the exact cause. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.