Pain and discomfort while muscle stretching. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i got moderate muscle stretch in my back during workouts before 6 months ago.
its results pain & discomfort while sitting & workouts. my age is only 22 & height 5'11 inches. My weight 95kg. kindly guide for the same.

Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

1. Usually muscle stretches due to exercises or abnormal posture or due to lifting heavy weight subsides after say a week or 10 days of adequate rest.
2. Since your pain is more while sitting & workouts, it seems to be a discogenic pain which can be chronic.
3. Even though your BMI is approx 28.9 kg/m2, it is insignificant if you are muscular.
4. Whether the pain is in upper back or lower back? does the pain radiates down your lower limbs? is it associated with numbness of lower limbs? does the pain aggravates during coughing? During nights after lying down on bed does the pain recurs ? Any early morning stiffness in your back?

Awaiting for your response,

Follow-up: Pain and discomfort while muscle stretching. Is it normal? 24 hours later
Hello Sir,
As per your symptoms i don't feel any pain in lower limbs rather i feel pain in middle of upper & lower back & recurring of pain while laying down.

Kindly suggest

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for replying.

It seems to be like a mechanical back ache - probably a small disc or facetal arthritis. Your orthopedician will examine you & might require initial screening by X-ray of your spine, followed by a MRI, can be helpful for further management.

Till then avoid stretching, lifting heavy weights, leaning forward will decrease your pain. Lying on hard bed also will be helpful to you.

Get well soon.