Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain and clicking sound when yawning. Is this a sign of an illness?

I've developed this condition over the last 6 months where if I yawn with my mouth too wide, then my jaw cracks and pops next to my ear and I get this most intense pain. I fades away quite quickly (within 3 to 4 minutes), but it is really intense when it happens. And it only happens when I yawn with my mouth open really wide, and only when it cracks (like cracking the joint in my finger).
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like temporal mandibular joint dysfunction or disorder.The temporal mandibular joint is the joint that connects the jaw with the skull.
The cracking noise and the pain that you describe are two of the symptoms that can occur.
Other symptoms that can sometimes be experienced include chronic dull ache in the jaw area, headache, neck shoulder and back pain,locking of the jaw in a position.

It can be related to problems with the articular disc of the joint, be hereditary, issues with the structure of the joint, related to osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthrits, related to repetitive unconscious grinding of the teeth.

Most persons recover on their own, with the use of medication. Treatment involves the use of pain medications, muscle relaxants and application of moist heat and possible massages to the muscles in this area. It would be best to consult an ENT doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions