PS scanning report showed left ovary bulky and ovaries shows echogenic central parenchyma with tiny peripheral multiple follicles. Meaning?

Question
hi doctor im a umarried women aged 23 years recently i underwent a PS scanning which says that my right ovary is normal nd left ovary is bulky.both ovaries shows echogenic central parenchyma with tiny peripheral multiple follicles(<3-4mm)-early PCOD changes in left ovary
is it serious how can it be cured?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is quite common today; controlled positively

Detailed Answer:

At the outset, let me inform you that there is no need for worry as polycystic ovarian disease is quite common now-a-days; in fact, it is the commonest hormonal imbalance observed in women of reproductive age group and is controlled easily through several modes of treatment.

Your ultrasonographic picture is suggestive of PCOD. If you do not have any menstrual irregularities, obesity and unwanted hair, you can wait with regular monitoring. You should get glucose tolerance test, complete hormonal profile including serum prolactin levels and thyroid profile and serum DHEAS levels. If any hormonal deficiency is observed, it can be corrected. As it is in the very early stage, minimal corrections early on help to arrest the symptoms.

Ovulation is either irregular or absent in majority of cases. This is why several follicles are seen in different stages of development; very few or none rupture. Metformin can correct ovulation defects by maintaining insulin balance when insulin resistance is diagnosed. Ovulation inducing agents may be needed if you wish to conceive later on if natural conception gets delayed.

Sometimes, cyst formation may occur in the ovary due to the unruptured follicles; laparoscopic cyst puncture usually relieves the condition.

Maintenance of a healthy BMI (normal range is 19-25), regular daily exercise like skipping, avoidance of stress, eating a healthy diet go a long way in controlling the symptoms.

Finally, I stress there is no need to worry as it is a curable condition and only needs monitoring.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: PS scanning report showed left ovary bulky and ovaries shows echogenic central parenchyma with tiny peripheral multiple follicles. Meaning? 30 minutes later
hi doctor,thank you for your reply i would like to put out some data so you can come to a conclusion,i already have given blood test which i gave during my second day of periods which was on aug 9th, for some hormone test the results are below.
FSH(EC)-6.02 IU/L
LH(EC)-6.98 IU/L
PROLACTIN(EC)-15.74 NG/ML
THYROXINE(T4)(EC)-132.8 NMOL/L
I will attach the reports so that you can have a clear picture.
will be given contraceptive pills for this treatment?i would be gaining weight ryt?
I have even attached the reports please look into it

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The values are within normal limits.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

I did not receive any reports. Please make sure they have been attached. I have gone through the values you have given. All of them are essentially within the normal range. In addition to these, you should get to know your glucose tolerance and if there is any insulin resistance. TSH values would give the presence of any sub-clinical hypothyroidism.

Contraceptive combined pills are usually the first line of treatment along with metformin for this condition and usually give good results. Weight gain can happen as part of treatment and also as part of the disease. It should be controlled by diet management and exercise. Please remember that as the hormonal imbalance is not evident in your case your chances of weight gain are also less.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please get back if you have more queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: PS scanning report showed left ovary bulky and ovaries shows echogenic central parenchyma with tiny peripheral multiple follicles. Meaning? 11 minutes later
hi doctor i have attached all the reports including scanning in my page it is showing that a report already exists..please look into it again.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sorry, unable to open, please contact cc team.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing. Yes, you are right and even I can see that reports are attached but the page is repeatedly failing to load. Please contact customer care and ask for assistance. If it is not possible, please give the findings in writing. I shall explain.

regards,
Shanti.V.