PCOD, have irregular periods, weight gain. Prescribed obimet, clofert. Are these safe?

hi doctor, i ve PCOD problem.. my doctor has given me obimet 500 (2 times in a day) and clofert for 5 days which has to be taken from the 2nd day of my periods.. i've irregular periods from past 5 mnths and due to which i gained so much of weight.... is there any harm in taking these medicines.. and for how long i've to tk these medicines?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Obimet is metformin , which is a insulin sensitiser. It is safe to take this medication. You can even continue this medication after getting pregnant also; t has shown to decrease the chances of GDM-gestational diabetes mellitus. This drug works well if you do regular exercises, at least 20-30 min brisk walk. Control in your diet; get a dietitians advice.
metformin common side effects are gastrointestinal like nausea, flatulence...
You can continue this medication for 6 months and get re-evaluated regularly.
Clofert is clomiphene citrate tablets for OVULATION. In PCOS the cycles are usually irregular, they are of ANOVULATORY type, hence it is useful.
Get your husband evaluated as well if it is not done. Minimum semen analysis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile