Overweight,is folic acid supplements and pre check up advisable before planning pregnancy?

Do I need a pre check up before trying for a baby? Do I need to take Folic Acids from now itself? Can this be taken without visiting the doctor? If so in what amounts should I take?

My Height is 153 cm and Weight 65 kg, need to know if it is safe to try for a baby or should wait till I can reduce?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

It is ideal for a woman planning for a baby, to go in for a pre check up .This would include a general physical examination and some blood and urine investigations. If the test reports are not normal , steps could be taken to plan your pregnancy accordingly. Pre check up is not considered a routine for planning a pregnancy.

Since your BMI is 28, it is classified under "over weight " category.Though this may not interfere with the chances of pregnancy,keeping a watch on your weight gain would be helpful. It is not mandatory that you need to lose weight and then plan the pregnancy, you can go ahead with it now if you wish to.

Folic acid supplements can be started one month prior to pregnancy, this would prevent the chances of a miscarriage and neural abnormalities in the child.Folic acid has known to help in good brain growth , hence it is recommended for all pregnant women in the initial 3 months of pregnancy.

The ideal dose of folic acid would be 0.5mg/day.You may start it before a month of planning conception and continue for 3 months of pregnancy.

I suggest you see a Obstetrician for this, as you may need to get the investigations done as well. Once you get pregnant, routine blood and urine investigations become necessary along with an ultrasound scan.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.